Plastic Recycling in Christchurch
I often get asked where people can drop off plastics for recycling so I have pooled some resources here to help.
Quick facts - Christchurch City Council has a 'LIDS OFF' recycling system. This includes ice cream container lids.
Drop off points
Earthlove Recycling Hub at Prima Roastery, Brougham Street
Drop off area for all sorts of post-consumer items including:
- Plastic lids
- Plastic bread tags
- Metal bottle caps
- Felts and pens - TerraCycle
- Blister packs - TerraCycle
- Razors - TerraCycle
- Batteries - disposed of safely
- Bamboo toothbrushes - to be made into soap dishes
Richmond Community Gardens - Riverlution Eco Hub - Community Drop Off Station
The Environment centre is setting up a recycling workshop with plastic shredder and collection point. For full details visit their website
- Wine bottle tops and metal lids for the Christchurch Kidney Society
- Plastic lids (resin codes 2 and 5)
- Chip packets - Chip Packet Project NZ
- Face masks
- Razor blades
- Oral care Colgate brand only
Canterbury Worker's Education Association has a drop off hub for metal and plastic lids.
Wooden crates outside the Sumner Hub for collection of:
- Plastic bottle tops to Eco Pirates
- Toothpaste items to Terracycle (Colgate) or Grin (Grin plus other brands)
- Wine bottle lids and can tabs to Christchurch kidney society
- Nespresso capsules to the Trees for Canterbury recycling program
Note that they are a drop off point for any resources that are not accepted in the council recycling systems. Recycling projects can pick up anything they need from there but they do not actively funnel materials to recyclers (unless agreed). The types of resources that are collected by local recycling projects include:
- Plastic bottle tops
- Ice cream container lids
- Single use coffee cup lids
- Some e-waste
Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme - various supermarkets, The Warehouse stores
The Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme has rolled out throughout New Zealand and you can take any soft plastics to the drop off points listed on their website. Note that soft plastics are those that scrunch in your hand and don't pop back into shape. See their store locator here.
Local Recycling Projects
Remix Plastic / Established 2018
Making accessories out of waste that would otherwise go to landfill.
- We recycle 3D printer waste - mainly collected from the Christchurch City Libraries and don't often take further donations unless discussed.
- We get ice cream container lids from Creative Junk - if you have these, please drop off there and we will collect as required.
Upcycled Plastic / Established 2019
Run by Nicola Garlick, makes jewelry, vases, propagation stations, soap dishes, wind chimes and other projects. She recycles bottle tops and Anchor milk bottles.
Please drop off to the above listed locations and she will collect as required.
Poly Lab NZ / Established 2020
Run by Chris Koch, Polylab has an impressive workshop including CNC machine, allowing Chris to make larger pieces from recycled plastic. Mainly recycling bottle tops - please drop off to the above listed locations and they will collect as required.
Over the top Recycling / Established 2021
Run by Neith Absalom, Over The Top Recycling turns bottle tops into skateboard decks! Please drop off to the above listed locations and they will collect as required.